23 May, 2008

So what can I scan? Or, why even scan at all?

Like I said recently in my presentation at the CLSA conference, you should be scanning if your clients need it or request it, if it would be useful in your everyday surveying projects or if you simply want to jump in and be a pioneer. If your survey practice is a typical small operation with a few crews or less, scanning may only be useful if you are performing site topos and as-builts, interior and facility type settings. It is NOT a good tool for boundary. It is not a replacement for GPS (unless you are doing RTK topo surveys in open terrain) and it is not a replacement for skilled field surveyors. In future articles I’ll be answering some of the specific questions about scanning for your types of projects that some reader have sent in to me. In particular the most common types of surveys, your every day surveys. Ah, but is there really such a thing? Have you every truly experienced a completely routine day where nothing unique happened. Perhaps scanning can be more useful than you think. Send your questions and I’ll answer them as best I can.

1 comment:

3D Scanner said...

You are very correct about not ever having a normal day. In the world of surveying it's always different and personally I've never really seen two days match up unless it's the same job site over and over