04 September, 2009

Scan Station C10 - Leica's new all purpose scanner

Even in the middle of this historic recession manufacturers continue to improve their offers. You might think this is pointless in these hard times, like trying to sell sunscreen to Eskimos in winter, but then you could be wrong about that. When is the right time to announce a new product? When the product is ready to ship, or when the buyers decides it's time for a new product? Maybe a little bit of both. And who says the economy is all that bad anyways? Some surveying companies are making a killing on scanning work right now. Don't be surprised if most of the scanning capable survey companies are doing much better than those without. Enter the C10. Leica announced this week the arrival of their newest all purpose scanner, the Scan Station C10. (Not sure were the "C10" designation comes from but I'll let you know when I do) I have only briefly ready through the marketing literature but it appears to be a step up in features and ease of use and less so in performance. Your actual productivity will likely increase with the on-board modular battery and on-board storage and controls. I'm eager to get my hands on one and will post a much more comprehensive review when I do. Meanwhile, I have several nearly completed article to finish and post for you, and I'll be updating some of the earlier posts to bring that information current.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All purpose laser scanners are generally pretty economical, and can save a lot of time and effort on the job. I see you've also linked trimble, but do you have any opinion of Topcon lasers vs Trimble lasers?

Tim Redd, PLS 7527 (Calif.) said...

Although I favor the Leica scanners for mostly prectical reasons, I have no stake in the game. There will be many scanners to come and Trimble and Topcon will continue to improve and upgrade just as Leica will too. The Topcon and Trimble scanners both have lesser functionallity with respect to field of view and some other minor issues. I have first hand experience with the Trimble machines. The Trimble software is user friendly but not so full featured. UC Davis published some research comparing variuous scanners and the Leica scanners stand out as consistantly more accurate with predictable results. From a business perspective I use scanners that have a reliable support system and ones that I can most easily hire operators, and that would be Leica.

Land Air Surveying said...

Tim is right - scanners with a reliable support system are critical for business.